So my hair turned 3 on the 18th of July! I honestly was planning on skipping the nappiversary/length check post but @kinkchic on Instagram left a comment on one of my posts talking about the nappiversary post so I just had to do it.
What were my goals from my two year nappiversary and how well did I do?
Two years!! Can you believe it? If my hair were a child, it’d be a toddler that could walk and talk!
Remember the goals I mentioned in my one year nappiversary post
that I planned to achieve by now? Let’s see how I did:
1. Kick dandruff’s ass. (Sadly, no)
2. Beat hand-in-hair syndrome. (Yes and no. It changed from hand-in-hair syndrome to hand-in-edges syndrome which is worse)
3. More length and thickness at my edges and nape. (Yes but not as much as I’d have liked due to my newly developed hand-in-edges syndrome)
4. Growth/Length retention. (Yes but not as much as I’d have liked)
I didn’t measure my hair in terms of inches but here are my length check pictures:
Not so bad ei? But not as good as I’d hoped but I have repented
A couple of things I’ve learnt this past year:
- Don’t let it frustrate you because frustration leads you to quitting! Let whatever you do fit into your regular routine and ability; don’t go all out and overwhelm yourself with stuff you can’t handle because the “gurus” say you should do it. E.g. if you can’t handle washing your hair weekly, don’t. Because if you do, you most probably will get frustrated and think of giving up.
- Don’t compare yourself with others and don’t be solely goal oriented! Have a little fun! Remember I talked about it in this post? If you want to dye your hair or straighten it or get a tapered cut, do your research and go for it!
- Do what works for you! If it ain’t working, dump it(no matter how many rave reviews it has) and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it (no matter how many bad reviews it has). In the end, you are the boss of you.
- Encourage yourself! Don’t always think of the negatives(e.g. What your hair can’t do); try to see the positives (e.g. What your hair can do).
- Learn and experiment! Don’t get stuck in your ways. Read blogs, watch vlogs. You will learn a lot; not all will work for you but you just might hit the jackpot with some.
I don’t want it to turn it into an epistle so I’ll put a pin in it right there.
If you follow me on Instagram (@nigerianandnatural) you would have seen most of these but here are a few (boring) styles I did over the last year:
Not the same day as the previous picture. I just really like this shirt! LOL
And my latest style:
Two week old twists. So proud of myself for keeping them for that long
Here are my goals for the year ahead:
- Get a trim and try to get trims when needed from now on.
- More protective styling.
- Growth and length retention.
- Stop hand-in-edges syndrome.
- Kick dandruff’s ass (for real this time).
- Be more adventurous with:
That’s all folks! 3rd nappiversary here we come!
What are some things you’ve learnt along the way in your hair journey? What are your short and long term goals for your hair? Please share.
Oh and Eid Mubarak! I know this isn’t the ram-sharing sallah so I shall patiently await that one.
Hip hip hip!!! Hurray!!!!
One year ago today I walked into that barbershop wanting a fade and came out with hair so short it almost didn’t need to be combed!
In actual fact, the anniversary of my big chop was on the 14th of June but I decided to go with my second big chop(July 18th) because with that cut, I started from scratch so basing it on that date shows a truer picture of a year’s growth.
*Phew* That was a mouthful! I hope you understand what I mean though.
Either ways(June or July), I still have one year under my belt!
So here’s a mini timeline of pictures showing my progress over the year!
My first big chop(June 2013)
My second cut, July 2013
Today’s simple look(ignore the giant pimple)
Over this first year, I experimented with products, Ayurveda, dyed my hair etc.
Let’s see how the next year goes but from the look of things, I foresee that it will be a lazy year(you never know though).
Taking a page out of AB’s book, I will be setting anniversary goals; these are changes I would like to see/make by my next anniversary.
Here are my goals for the year ahead:
1. Kick dandruff’s ass.
2. Beat hand-in-hair syndrome.
3. More length and thickness at my edges and nape.
4. Growth/Length retention.
I think that’s not too much to ask for!
So cheers to my hair at one year *glasses clink*
Expect a post about my new favorite simple go-to style + a one year length check soon.