So my hair turned 3 on the 18th of July! I honestly was planning on skipping the nappiversary/length check post but @kinkchic on Instagram left a comment on one of my posts talking about the nappiversary post so I just had to do it.
What were my goals from my two year nappiversary and how well did I do?
Two years!! Can you believe it? If my hair were a child, it’d be a toddler that could walk and talk!
Remember the goals I mentioned in my one year nappiversary post
that I planned to achieve by now? Let’s see how I did:
1. Kick dandruff’s ass. (Sadly, no)
2. Beat hand-in-hair syndrome. (Yes and no. It changed from hand-in-hair syndrome to hand-in-edges syndrome which is worse)
3. More length and thickness at my edges and nape. (Yes but not as much as I’d have liked due to my newly developed hand-in-edges syndrome)
4. Growth/Length retention. (Yes but not as much as I’d have liked)
I didn’t measure my hair in terms of inches but here are my length check pictures:
Not so bad ei? But not as good as I’d hoped but I have repented
A couple of things I’ve learnt this past year:
- Don’t let it frustrate you because frustration leads you to quitting! Let whatever you do fit into your regular routine and ability; don’t go all out and overwhelm yourself with stuff you can’t handle because the “gurus” say you should do it. E.g. if you can’t handle washing your hair weekly, don’t. Because if you do, you most probably will get frustrated and think of giving up.
- Don’t compare yourself with others and don’t be solely goal oriented! Have a little fun! Remember I talked about it in this post? If you want to dye your hair or straighten it or get a tapered cut, do your research and go for it!
- Do what works for you! If it ain’t working, dump it(no matter how many rave reviews it has) and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it (no matter how many bad reviews it has). In the end, you are the boss of you.
- Encourage yourself! Don’t always think of the negatives(e.g. What your hair can’t do); try to see the positives (e.g. What your hair can do).
- Learn and experiment! Don’t get stuck in your ways. Read blogs, watch vlogs. You will learn a lot; not all will work for you but you just might hit the jackpot with some.
I don’t want it to turn it into an epistle so I’ll put a pin in it right there.
If you follow me on Instagram (@nigerianandnatural) you would have seen most of these but here are a few (boring) styles I did over the last year:
Not the same day as the previous picture. I just really like this shirt! LOL
And my latest style:
Two week old twists. So proud of myself for keeping them for that long
Here are my goals for the year ahead:
- Get a trim and try to get trims when needed from now on.
- More protective styling.
- Growth and length retention.
- Stop hand-in-edges syndrome.
- Kick dandruff’s ass (for real this time).
- Be more adventurous with:
That’s all folks! 3rd nappiversary here we come!
What are some things you’ve learnt along the way in your hair journey? What are your short and long term goals for your hair? Please share.
Oh and Eid Mubarak! I know this isn’t the ram-sharing sallah so I shall patiently await that one.
2015 is here!!!!!
Without taking too much of your time, I just want to wish you a happy new year. May 2015 be filled with boundless joy, unending peace, unmeasurable success, heartwarming love & every good thing for you & yours!
I also want to show you my final length check pictures of 2014.
Comparing these to my 1 year nappiversary length check, I’m pretty surprised at the difference because my hair was out most of the time(hardly any protective styling) and quite honestly also close to neglected half the time.
So that’s it for this very brief post. According to my stats for 2014, the blog had over 15,000 views and 24 new posts. Let’s see if we can triple that in 2015 ei? I’ll work hard to post more often.
Thank you so much to everyone who reads the blog, leaves comments, sends me emails, follows the blog, likes posts etc.
I love you guys!💗
Let’s have an amazing year, shall we?
If you’re not following the blog on Instagram I don’t know what you’re waiting for oh! Oya follow @nigerianandnatural