I’ve been seeing people air all their hair’s dirty laundry on various blogs under the tag “Curl Confessions” and I decided to also let the breeze blow this fowl’s butt.
Without further ado, here are a few of my “dirty little secrets”:
1. It seems like I am constantly in a war with dandruff. Sometimes I win the battle for a while but in the long run dandruff runs this war.
2. I haven’t done a protein treatment in ages. I honestly can’t be bothered.
3. I have soooo many single strand knots!!!! They drive me so crazy!
4. I break off the aforementioned knots with my hands. I just yank at them.
5. I’m forever playing with the hair at my edges and nape. This is a horrible habit that I believe is the major reason for my having much shorter hair in those areas.
6. I have hand-in-hair syndrome. Nos 3,4 and 5 must have given you a clue.
7. I am very heavy handed with products especially conditioner. As a member of team cheapskate, this is bad for business as I’m always running out of stuff.
8. I have moments when I think about relaxing my hair.
9. I’m forever obsessing about my hair growing; stretching it this way and that way to see if it has grown in the last 5 minutes, daydreaming about all the styles I’ll do when it’s loooonnngg.
10. Given the funds, opportunity and funds(yes I said funds twice), I would be the Product Junkie of life! Like I would probably go gaga and need rehab.
11. Many times I can’t even be bothered to be gentle cos I don’t have the time or patience. I will pull my hair, comb/detangle aggressively, comb my hair dry etc.
12. I’ve only ever had leave in conditioner twice(although I just invested in some now cos I’m trying to change). Usually I just seal my damp hair with oil or use my regular rinse-out conditioner as a leave in and call it a day.
13. I usually forget to wash my satin bonnet often. The next one I buy has to be white or a light colour so I can see when it’s dirty and be shamed into washing it.
I’ll stop here cos right now I can’t think of any more. Remember God said we should not judge oh!
Do you do any of the things I’ve listed? Do you do worse? Or are you a saint in the hair department? Let us know in the comment section.
In other news, the blog has an email address now. I’ve added it to the “About” page but here it is email@example.com
Feel free to email me.
16 thoughts on “Curl confessions”
Hahaha I tend to also stretch my hair too …
Lol. We have to fake it till we make it
No 9 & 13 is soo me! I really cant wait for my hair to be looonggg
I know right! We shall get there
Jelly belly u try lol . Hand in hair syndrome sha especially when in thinking or work …. God dey
We shall overcome hand-in-hair syndrome, amen!
I curb my laziness/forgetfulness of washing my satin bonnets by having more than two. I bought in abuja from a lady for a low as #700, I had to grab four as I don’t know when I will see it that cheap again lol
That’s a really good idea oh! Will look into getting some extras for myself
a strand of my hair also gets tangled and i tend to cut it off. but seriously do you know the solution to this?
I’m battling the same issue and it drives me nuts. I think the best solution really is to cut the knot off with sharp scissors
Guilty!!! Except that i hate to touch my hair and sometimes wish i could keep a hairdo for like a year. lol @ #10
I wish I could keep hairstyles for a long time too but when it starts getting to the 2 week mark, I already feel hot and irritated and want to take it out
We are soul mates mama. Loool. I’m currently trying to decide on a protective style so I can’t touch my hair so much. I’m always toying with my edges, twisting this strand, finger coiling that one. N my when I hve more funds, hello drugstores.com. I’ll have a haul rodfl. Then my obsession with length, I’m currently fightng myself not to do a relaxer blow out. My hair shrinkage depresses me. 75% shrinkage man, it shd be illegal.
LOL! Great minds think alike 😉 Protective styles give my hair a break from my hands but most times my edges and nape are still free for me to touch. Now though I’m making a concious effort not to touch them cos I need them to grow but it’s still difficult. When I have funds I’ll have a Shea Moisture haul!!! I feel you on the shrinkage; mine should be around 75% too which is annoying. I combat it by always stretching either with twists, braids, flat twists, bantu knots or even flexi rods. Try other methods instead of a relaxer blow out(banding, african threading, even light blow drying with a good heat protectant). Because once you do the blow out, there’s no going back if you miss your hair.
I’m all for protective styles too but I don’t want to stress my hair at all. So I’m eyeing wigs. I want to make a crochet wig and normal wig using d flip over method. I don’t have a sister or a mannequin head, n my mum doesn’t hve my time atm so all that is stalled lol. Yeah I’ll prbbly not do the relaxer blow out sha, I’m proud of my 4c hair.
I love wigs as a protective style. You could try buying an inexpensive wig for now until you’re able to make yours. (Flip over method? Need to Google that)